MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS, MALAYSIA
EMBASSY OF MALAYSIAFEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY
History Diplomatic relations between Malaysia and the Federal Republic of Germany were established in 1957. From 1962 until 19 August 1999 the Malaysian Embassy was located in Bonn, Bad Godesberg. The Embassy was relocated to Berlin, the new capital, on 20 August 1999 and has been housed in the new chancery building in Klingelhöferstr. 6, Tiergarten Triangle, Berlin since 11 November 2000. The official opening of the Embassy building was graced by Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad on 19 March 2002.
The Tiergarten Triangle in Berlin:
The Tiergarten Triangle, formerly known as the Klingelhöfer Triangle, is situated between the Zoo district (City West) and the diplomatic district and thus bridges at least one of the gaps that have so far existed between the western city and the old centre of Berlin. Since the war, the land had been used as a fairground due to the failure of all previous building projects. It was developed after a long period of planning.
In 1995, Hildebrand Machleidt and Walter Stepp won the competition with a design which modified the traditional building typology of the western centre to create detached units characteristic of the diplomatic district. The 13 units - a mixture of apartments, offices and "political" buildings - were to have a uniform height of 18 metres and to be oriented towards the road alignment line, thus creating a so-called pocket-park in the centre. The pocket-park was designed by the landscape architects Müller and Wehberg. Only one old building (of 1912) has been preserved along the Rauchstraße.
The Chancery:The Klingelhoferstr. 6, where the Malaysian Embassy is located, is the smallest on the Tiergarten Dreieck site. Other Embassies located next to Chancery building are Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Mexico, and the Nordic Embassies (Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland and Norway).
The building comprises two wings running parallel to each other and linked by a glass-covered atrium. The Embassy’s interior decoration reflects its owner’s architectural culture. The window components are in Meranti wood, whilst one wall in the lobby is covered in a carved wooden piece by a Malaysian artist. Accomodation for Embassy staff is on the fourth floor and in the west wing.