HISTORY OF THE HIGH COMMISSION
Prior to independence 31 August 1957, Malaya as it was then known had set up a Commission initially in London and subsequently in New Delhi, Karachi and Canberra to look after trade, information and trade matters. These were not in any way diplomatic missions.
The first Commissioner to London was YM Raja Sir Tun Uda bin Raja Muhamad who served from 1 July 1953 to 16 October 1954. The next was Dato’ Othman bin Mohamad who served from 16 October 1954 until 5 July 1957.
Immediately after independence, the Government established nine missions overseas. The first High Commissioner of Malaysia to the United Kingdom was Dato’ Nik Ahmad Kamil bin Nik Mahmood.
The Malaysian High Commission first occupied the premises of 57 Trafalgar Square, presented to the Government as a gift of the Crown Estates. Later it moved to Great Portland Street, London W1 and in the 1960s to its present address at 45 Belgrave Square, London SW1.