HISTORY OF THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Groundwork for the establishment of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia dates back to 1956. In managing, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), as it was initially called, a pioneer batch of 11 career diplomats was sent to Britain and Australia for training. In 1966, the Ministry was renamed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and moved from the Sultan Abdul Samad Building to a new complex known as Wisma Putra at Bukit Petaling, Kuala Lumpur. Since then, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia is also known as WISMA PUTRA. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs began operation from its current Complex at No. 1, Jalan Wisma Putra, Precinct 2, 62602 Putrajaya on 17 September 2001.
|Federal Secretariat: 1956-1966, Sultan Abdul Samad Building, Kuala Lumpur|| |
|Wisma Putra Building: 1966-2001, Bukit Petaling, Kuala Lumpur || |
|Wisma Putra Complex: 2001- Current, Putrajaya|
Malaysia’s first diplomatic missions were set up in London, Washington, Canberra, New York, New Delhi, Jakarta and Bangkok. By 1963, Malaysia has established 14 Diplomatic Missions overseas. The number grew steadily to 21 in 1966. Today, Malaysia has a network of 105 diplomatic missions spanning the globe - a proud testament on how far the Ministry has progressed over the years, in tandem with the progress of Malaysia. The establishment of these diplomatic missions are to compliment the function and also as an extension of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia abroad.