MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS, MALAYSIA
THE MISSION'S HISTORY
Malaysia established its diplomatic relations with Cambodia on 31 August 1957. From 1969 to 1975; Malaysia maintained our diplomatic presence in Cambodia at the level of Chargé d´Affaires at interim, with its Ambassador in Beijing (concurrently accredited to Cambodia).
The Embassy of Malaysia in Phnom Penh was closed after the Khmer Rouge regime reached Phnom Penh and took power in 1975. The Embassy was re-opened on 26 November 1991 following the signing of the Paris Peace Accord on 23 October 1991; where the United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC) was established to ensure the implementation of the Agreements on the Comprehensive Political Settlement of the Cambodia Conflict.
The Embassy of Malaysia is currently located at No. 220, Preah Norodom Boulevard, which is about 4 km from Phnom Penh city centre. This is a permanent location for the Embassy since 2010 after the government of Malaysia acquired the land and built its own Chancery as well as the living quarters for the officers and families.
Since 1991, 8 (eight) Ambassadors have served the mission with His Excellency Dato’ Sri Hasan Malek appointed as the latest Ambassador of Malaysia to Cambodia.
Malaysia established diplomatic relations with Cambodia soon after Malaysia’s independence on 31 August 1957. Between 1969 to 1975 ; Malaysia maintained diplomatic presence in Cambodia at the level of Charg? d’Affaires, with its Ambassador in Beijing concurrently accredited to Phnom Penh. The Embassy of Malaysia was closed in 1979 as the civil war started in the Kingdom and was re-opened on 26 November 1991 following the signing of the Paris Peace Accord on 23 October 1991.
The first Malaysian Ambassador to Cambodia was H.E. Ambassador Dato’ Deva Mohd Ridzam. Subsequent Heads of Mission were H.E. Ambassador Dato’ Md. Kamal Ismaun, H.E. Ambassador Dato’ Ahmad Anuar Abdul Hamid, H.E. Ambassador Datin Paduka Melanie Leong and H.E. Ambassador Dato’ Adnan Haji Othman.