MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS, MALAYSIA
Brief History of the Embassy of Malaysia, Bangkok
Upon achieving her independence in 1957, the then Malaya had immediately set up seven diplomatic missions in London, Washington, New York, Canberra, New Delhi, Jakarta and Bangkok. Those cities were chosen given their strategic interest that Malaya had during that time. As in the case of Bangkok, the Embassy was officially opened on 6 September 1957. 1 July 1958 was a watershed day for Malaya with H.E. Tuan Syed Sheikh Shahabuddin being appointed as Malaya’s first Ambassador to Thailand.
From the day of its inception, the Embassy of Malaysia in Bangkok had been located along the famous Sathorn Road which was a busy business area for the city. Even in modern times, it is considered as part of the Central Business District (CBD) of Bangkok and many other diplomatic missions could be found along the road.
From a humble beginning in 1957, the Embassy had undergone massive transformation, both, in terms of its physical buildings and its manpower. Needless to say, being one of the most important neighbours to Malaysia, the workload handled by the Embassy of Malaysia in Bangkok has been on a steady upward trend from year to year. In its 54-year history, a total of 14 Ambassadors had served in Bangkok.
Picture 1 aptly describes the physical development of the Embassy. The picture which was taken in 1984 shows the original building of the Embassy (marked as A) and its Annex (marked as B) which was built in 1981. The new Annex was then opened in October 1982 and housed the Ambassador’s Office and the main office for the Embassy. The Official Residence of the Ambassador is marked as C. To the earlier generation of the staff of the Embassy, the set up of the Embassy and its pristine environment was a pulling factor for them to work tirelessly on the ground that after the long and hard day in the office, they could unwind by either fishing along the khlong that surrounded the old complex or by playing football at the compound of the Embassy. History even reveals that the annual Loi Kratong celebration for members of the diplomatic corps was celebrated at the very compound of the Embassy where lotuses were released to the khlong with specific wish(es) by its owner.
Ten years down the road after the opening of the new Annex, the Government of Malaysia decided to give a new uplift to the overall image of the Embassy. A more modern building was designed, built and finally ready for occupancy in 1997 (see Picture 2). The Embassy complex built on a 4.083-acre site symbolises Malaysia’s modern approach and image. While the new and bigger complex consumes almost every inch of the land, efforts were poured in to ensure that the esthetical value is preserved with the development of a beautiful and lush garden at the centre of the complex. Since then, the said garden has been used as venue for many official and unofficial functions organised by the Embassy especially during the 'winter' time for Thailand where the temperature could drop, on average, between 18 - 20 degrees Celsius.
The official opening ceremony of the new Annex on 29 October 1982 by Dato’ Shahuddin Mohd Taib, Ambassador of Malaysia to Thailand
Do'a recital led by the representative of Sheikh-al-Islam of Thailand to mark the opening of the new Annex
The original entrance of the Embassy of Malaysia, Bangkok
The original single-storey Chancery Building of the Embassy of Malaysia, Bangkok
The majestic Official Residence of the Ambassador and the Chancery
The facade of the Residence of the Ambassador