MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS, MALAYSIA
INFORMATION FOR MALAYSIANS TRAVELLING TO THAILAND
1) Travel insurance to Thailand:
· Tourists travelling to Thailand are strongly encourage to buy a travel insurance for the purpose of necessary coverage throughout their trip.
· As part of Thailand’s initiative to encourage this, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has introduced an optional online insurance purchase, whereby TAT signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) to create low-cost insurance schemes “special travel insurance exclusively for foreign tourists” who will travel to Thailand. This online insurance, which was implemented since 25 July 2016, is convenient and provides instant coverage to tourists. More information on this online insurance can be found at http://thailandtravelshield.tourismthailand.org
2) Maximum and minimum amount of cash when travelling to Thailand:
· Source: http://m.suvarnabhumiairport.com/…/1002-suvarnabhumi-custom…
· Currency declaration upon arrival – There is no limit on the amount of Thai currency (THB) which can be brought into Thailand. Foreign currencies, in banknotes or coins, with the total aggregate value exceeding USD 20,000 (approximately THB 665,000) must be declared to the Customs officers at the Custom checkpoint. Failure to declare or incorrect declaration may result in criminal offence.
· Currency declaration upon departure:
o The amount of Thai Baht (THB) allowed to be brought outside the country must not exceed THB 50,000. With the exception for neighbouring countries (i.e. Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia and Myanmar), the amount of Thai Baht allowed to be brought outside the country must not exceed THB 450,000.
o Foreign currencies, in banknotes or coins, with the total aggregate value exceeding USD 20,000 (approximately THB 665,000) or equivalent must be declared to the Customs officers at the Customs checkpoint.
· Minimum currency limit when entering Thailand:
o Holders of a transit visa or those who enter Thailand without a visa are required to possess not less than the equivalent amount of THB 5,000 per person or THB 10,000 per family.o Holders of a tourist visa – not less than the equivalent amount of THB 10,000 per person or THB 20,000 per family.o Holders of a non-immigrant visa – not less than the equivalent amount of THB 10,000 per person or THB 20,000 per familyo The above requirements do not apply to minors under 12 years old.