Other Information Other Information

For Malaysian students and Malaysian residents in Australia planning to import a motor vehicle to Malaysia when they return home, the following criteria apply:

  • The vehicle must be registered in the name of the person returning, and be owned for at least 9 months.
  • Insurance on the vehicle for at least 9 months must be in the name of the person returning home.
  • The owner/driver should have a valid driver’s licence (a provisional licence holder will not be allowed to take a car back to Malaysia)
  • Driver must have lived/studied in Australia for more than 1 year and be returning home permanently.
  • Relevant import duty and excise tax will be imposed according to current schedule.

An import licence must be obtained from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry by completing Form JK 69 (Pindaan) 9/84 before exporting the vehicle from Australia to Malaysia.  The form can be purchased from Percetakan Nasional Malaysia Berhad, Kuala Lumpur or any of its branches in Malaysia.

Your application must be accompanied by original or certified copies of :

  • Passport.
  • Car registration documentation
  • Insurance certificate.


If studying, university offer letter or if working, employer’s letter which shows period of employment outside Malaysia. Completed application to be sent to:

Ministry of International Trade and Industry
Block 10, MITI 
Komplek Pejabat Kerajaan
Jalan Duta 
50622 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: (603) 6203 3022
Fax: (603) 6203 1303
Website: www.miti.gov.my
For further information about Import Duty
Website: wwww.customs.gov.my
Email: upa@hq.rced.gov. my or kastam@hq.rced.gov.my


Import of Motor Vehicle By Visitors


Visitors may import one motor vehicle or motorcycle duty-free for no more than three months, subject to the following conditions:

  • That the vehicle or motorcycle has been registered in the country of origin by the authority responsible for registering or licensing such vehicles. 
  • The vehicle or motorcycle is covered by an International Circulation Permit under the Road Transport Regulations.
  • That vehicle or motorcycle will be exported from Malaysia within 3 months of the date of import. If the vehicle is not taken out of Malaysia before then, Customs Duty and Sales Tax will have to be paid.
  • The owner of the vehicle must complete the clearance forms provided by Customs, Police and the Transport Department. These forms can be obtained from Customs when collecting the vehicle or motorcycle on arrival in Malaysia.
  • The driver must possess a valid Australian driver’s licence or International Driving Licence.
  • Third Party Insurance must also be taken out on arrival in Malaysia before driving the vehicle or motorcycle on Malaysian roads.


For further information contact:

Road Transport Dept of Malaysia
Level 4, Block D4, Parcel D
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Perseketuan 62616 Putrajaya.
Tel: (603) 8886 6400 Fax: (603) 8888 9645
Website. www.jpj.gov,my
Email: mshahar@jpj.gov.my
Royal Malaysia Police Bukit Aman 50560 Kuala Lumpur Tel: (603) 2262 62222
Prohibited Items and Items Requiring an Import Licence
For a list of prohibited items or items that require an import licence please contact the Royal Malaysia Customs and Excise website,