Other Information Other Information


Getting married in Malaysia


1. Parties intending to marry in Malaysia must reside in the district of where they aim to marry for at least 7 days before making an application to National Registration Department (NRD).


2. Registration of marriage shall take place after 21 days but not later than 6 months of application. However, for an additional fee, an ‘express license’ can be issued, providing all the documentations are correct.


3. Applicants must be present at the NRD (Marriage & Divorce Division) when the application is made and during registration of marriage. Original and copies of your documents must be presented and submitted to obtain an approval.


4. When the application form is given to you, you would need to obtain a stamp from the

Commissioner of Oaths. If this is being done in the NRD Headquarters, Putrajaya; a

Commissioner of Oath’s office is located in the same building. This will incur a small fee.


5. Once lodged, you must arrange the time and date of the ceremony. If you are applying for an ‘express license’, you must obtain the approval from the Director of Registration of Marriage. This may require you to make another visit to the NRD prior to the date of ceremony. Cost of application:RM20.00 Declaration:RM10.00



Documents you need to present when making an application for marriage


1. Application form JPN KCO1 (to be obtained at the Registration Department)


2. MyKAD and 1 copy (Identity card for Malaysian Applicants)


3. Coloured passport size photograph of both applicants


4. Passport and 1 copy of the page with your personal details & arrival date into Malaysia for non citizens.

5. Original and 1 copy for of the both applicants’ birth certificates.


6. Single status search or Certificate of No Impediment (and 1 copy) verifying marital



a.    SINGLE STATUS SEARCH can only be obtained from the Birth Death & Marriage of the state which each applicant resides in. For non-Australians who do not reside in the country, you would need to obtain a similar document from your country.


b. CERTIFICATE OF NO IMPEDIMENT is to be obtained from the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur. Please contact +603–2146 5575 to make an appointment.

i. Both applicants must be present at time of application.

ii. The form” Application for Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage” should be completed by both couple.

iii. Consular fee is charged. Please contact the Consulate office directly for the cost

iv. Please bring these documentations to be sighted by the High Commission.

· Both applicants original passports

· Both applicants original birth certificates

· If either applicant is divorced / widowed, relevant divorce or death certificate


b.    If applicant is divorced, original and 1 copy of a document confirming this must be submitted. This may be a sealed divorce certificate (decree nisi/absolute).


c.    d. If applicant is a widower, the original death certificate and 1 copy of the spouse must be submitted.




· Both applicants and their witnesses must bring along their ORIGINAL Identity



· Both applicants MUST be decently and appropriately attired.


· T-shirts-collared/non-collared/Jeans/Slippers/Shorts ARE NOT ALLOWED.


· Witnesses must be trustworthy and aged 21 years and above.


*This document serves as a general guideline. Please contact the respective local registration departments in the state which you intend to marry as it may have specific requirements with regards to the documentations you need to submit, timeline and other regulations.

4Attestations of documentations


· If you are an Australian, your documents which are produced by Australian authorities must be attested by the Department of Foreign Affairs in your state


· And then by the Malaysian High Commission or Consulates in Australia.



· You may obtain an attestation at the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur


· And then by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Putrajaya, Malaysia.


· Applicants must obtain attestation from their home country’s foreign mission. I.e.: French document (which must also be translated into English) attested by the French embassy and then by the Malaysian mission / Ministry of Foreign Affairs.