Diplomatic relations between Malaysia and Canada was established in 1957 immediately after Malaysia (then was named Malaya) gained her independence. The first High Commissioner of Malaysia to Canada was Tan Sri Ong Yoke Lin who presented his credentials on 18 April 1967. He was at the time based in Washington.
Malaysia established its resident mission in Canada on 11 April 1968. The first resident High Commissioner of Malaysia was Dato’ Mohd Ismail Yusof. The High Commission’s Chancery Building located at 60 Boteler Street , Ottawa was purchased by the Government of Malaysia in 1974. To facilitate and encourage bilateral trade between the two countries, the Malaysia Trade Office (MATRADE) was established on 15 October 1974 in Toronto.