MFA Directory English Bahasa Melayu
53rd ASEAN FOREIGN MINISTERS’ MEETING (53rd AMM) AND RELATED MEETINGS
9-12 SEPTEMBER 2020 VIA VIDEO CONFERENCE
Minister of Foreign Affairs YB Dato’ Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein will be leading Malaysia’s delegation to the 53rd ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (53rd AMM) and Related Meetings on 9-12 September 2020 via video conference. All meetings will be hosted by Vietnam, in its role as ASEAN Chair for 2020.
At the 53rd AMM, ASEAN Foreign Ministers will discuss issues related to ASEAN community-building efforts, the implementation of the ASEAN Political-Security Blueprint 2025, as well as preparations for the 37th ASEAN Summit and Related Summits, to be held in November this year.
The Foreign Ministers are also expected to exchange views on matters relating to regional and international issues of common concern, such as the region’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic,developments in the South China Sea, Korean Peninsula and Rakhine State in Myanmar, regional antiterrorism and violent extremism efforts, climate change and disaster management preparedness,maritime security as well as other non-traditional security issues.
Over the three days of the 53rd AMM, YB Dato’ Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein is scheduled to participate in the following meetings :-
1. 53rd ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
2. Meeting of the Southeast Asia Nuclear Weapon-Free Zone (SEANWFZ) Commission
3. 27th ASEAN Coordinating Council
4. Special Session of the ASEAN Coordinating Council Meeting on Sub-Regional Development
5. ASEAN-China Ministerial Meeting
6. 21st ASEAN Plus Three (+3) Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
7. ASEAN - Japan Ministerial Meeting
8. ASEAN - ROK Ministerial Meeting
9. 10th East Asia Summit Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
10. ASEAN - U.S. Ministerial Meeting
11. ASEAN - Canada Ministerial Meeting
12. ASEAN - Australia Ministerial Meeting (Co-Chair)
13. ASEAN – New Zealand Ministerial Me
14. ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting Interface with ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on
Human Rights (AICHR) Representatives
15. ASEAN Ministerial Dialogue on Strengthening Women’s Role for Sustainable Peace and Security at the 53rd ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
16. 27th ASEAN Regional Forum
17. ASEAN-European Union (EU) Ministerial Meeting
18. ASEAN-India Ministerial Meeting
Malaysia, as country coordinator for ASEAN-Australia Dialogue Relations for 2018-2021, will co-chair the ASEAN PMC+1 with Australia. YB Dato’ Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein and his Australian counterpart, H.E. Senator Marise Payne, will lead the discussion on issues of mutual concern.
At the conclusion of the 53rd AMM and Related Meetings, the Foreign Ministers are expected to adopt several outcome documents, including the 53rd AMM Joint Communiqué, which will highlight the outcomes of discussion as well as strategic and important decisions made during the meetings.
8 September 2020