1.         What Consular assistance or services can be provided by the Consulate General of Malaysia in Mumbai?


            The Consulate General of Malaysia in Mumbai provides consular assistance or services such as:


·        Issuance of visa (abroad)

·        Registration of Malaysians living abroad

·        Issuance of Emergency Certificate (loss of travel document/passport)

·        Registration of marriage and marriage ceremony

·        Registration of birth

·        Registration of death

·        Assistance to Malaysian nationals arrested abroad

·        Issuance, renewal and extension of travel documents

·        Registration of voters

·        Issuance of Good Conduct Certificate

·        Issuance of Certificate of Waiver of two year home residence

·        Serving of court documents abroad


The Consulate General will not be able to provide:


·        Help you find a job overseas

·        Arrange visas, work or residence permits for other countries, or help you obtain them.

·        Become involved with judicial affairs on your behalf in child custody cases in mixed marriages.

·        Pay or guarantee payment of your hotel, medical or any other bills, including the cost of returning lost luggage to Malaysia.

·        Act as travel agent, bank or post office or store your luggage.

·        Become involved in commercial disputes or take up complaints about local purchase, etc.

·        Provide translation, interpreter, telephone or photocopy services.

·        Investigate crimes in foreign countries.

·        Get you better condition in hospital than a local national would receive.

·        Provide accommodation at Malaysian Missions or the homes of officers overseas.

·        In the event of the arrest/detention of Malaysian citizens, Malaysian Missions abroad will not give legal advice, intervene in court proceedings or provide funds to pay for your legal costs of fines; Do something that is against the local law to help you; Become involved with the host government’s affairs to get you out of prison or obtain special treatment in prison; Bail or pay for fines; nor Become a bailsman, guarantor or sponsor.

2.         Do Indian passport holders need to apply for visa to go to Malaysia?


Yes, all Indian passport holders except those having Diplomatic or Official passports requires visa to enter Malaysia for any purpose.


3.         Is there any Visa on Arrival facility for Indian passport holders to enter Malaysia?


No, there is no Visa on Arrival facility for India Passport holders to enter Malaysia.


4.         How do I apply a visa to go to Malaysia?


Indian nationals residing in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa and Madhya Pradesh may obtain visa from the Consulate General of Malaysia in Mumbai. Application for Malaysian social/tourist visa will normally be processed in three (3) working days by the Consulate General of Malaysia in Mumbai and must be submitted through a registered agent. The Consulate General will not entertain any application submitted directly by individuals, companies or groups. For information on approved/registered agents, please call +91-22-26455541/42. The visa application requirements include:


i.                     Duly completed and signed visa form im.47 (can be download at http://www.kln.gov.my/web/ind_mumbai/forms.

ii.          Two recent passport sized photographs

iii.         Original and photocopied passport with validity more than 6 months.

iv.                 Original confirmed air ticket and photocopied counterfoil of the same.

v.                   Visa fee of Rs750.00 will be charged for each visa application received from an Indian passport holder.


5.         Do I need vaccination to go to Malaysia?


Visitors coming from India do not require vaccination to enter Malaysia provided that they were not visiting countries designated as Yellow Fever area.


6.         How do I apply for a Certificate of Good Conduct?


The application for a Letter of Good Conduct may be made by Malaysians and foreigners who have stayed in Malaysia for 1 year and beyond at the Consulate General of Malaysia in Mumbai. Processing takes between two (2) to five (4) months for all complete applications. Details of the application requirements and procedure may be obtained at http://www.kln.gov.my/web/ind_mumbai/other_information.


7.         Can I register marriage at the Consulate General of Malaysia in Mumbai?


Non-Muslim marriage can be registered at the Malaysian Mission provided that one or both of the couple is a Malaysian citizen. Registration of marriage must be made within the period of six (6) months after the marriage ceremony. For the marriage of Muslim couples (where one/both of the couple is a Malaysian citizen) that is done abroad, it needs to be registered at the religious office in respective states once back in Malaysia. Please be aware of the syariah laws and requirements of respective states to register Muslim marriages overseas before getting married overseas.  Details on marriage registration may be obtained at http://www.kln.gov.my/web/ind_mumbai/birth_marriage_cert .



8.         Do I need to register a child born in India wit the Consulate General in Mumbai?


             A child born in India and whose father is a Malaysian must be registered within one year of his/her birth. The failure to do so may lead to the loss of Malaysian citizenship to the child. The father of the child must not possess any nationality other than Malaysian nationality at the time of application. Effective from 1 June 2010, a child whose mother is a Malaysian while his/her father is a non-Malaysian may also apply for Malaysian nationality. Details of application for birth registration may be obtained at http://www.kln.gov.my/web/ind_mumbai/birth_marriage_cert .



9.         What service the Consulate can provide in the case of a Malaysian being arrested in India?


After being informed officially of the arrest of Malaysian citizens, the Consulate General can contact the arrested / detained person, arrange for family / next of kin to be informed if they so wish, give advice and guidance with the primary aim of helping them to have access to lawyers. The Consulate General may also assist in the transfer of necessary emergency funds from relatives and/or friends in Malaysia.


10.       What will the Consulate General do in the event of a death of a Malaysian in India?


In the event of the death of a Malaysian citizen overseas, the Consulate General is ready to assist Malaysians to bring back the remains of their family member or relative that had died abroad back to Malaysia. However, the cost has to be borne by the relative/next of kin.



Updated on 26/05/2010