History History

HISTORY OF THE ESTABLISHMENT

The diplomatic relations between Malaysia and Sri Lanka were established shortly after Malaysia gained its independence in 1957. The relations have always been cordial and friendly, and have developed into strong political, economic and social ties until today.

The High Commission of Malaysia in Colombo, Sri Lanka was opened in 1965 with its first temporary office located at Galle Face Hotel and for a brief period, at Alfred Place in Colombo 3. In the same year, it moved to a leased property at 63A Ward Place in Colombo 7 and operated in the same location until 1987.

The office of the High Commission was then moved to a new location at No. 87, Horton Place also in Colombo 7. It was moved again in 1991 to another location at 47/1 Jawatta Road at Colombo 5.

From 1 June 1993, the office of the High Commission was located to No. 92 Kynsey Road, Colombo 5 until it was futher moved from 1 December 2001 to No. 33 Bagatalle Road, Colombo 3. The office was then moved to No. 8 Rosmead Place, Colombo 7 and was opened by the Crown Prince of Perlis, HRH Tuanku Syed Faizuddin Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Jamalullail on 1 December 2016. The new building is located at No. 45, Rosmead Place, Colombo 7.

The first High Commissioner of Malaysia to Sri Lanka was HRH Tengku Indra Petra who served from 1967 to 1972. The present High Commissioner, His Excellency Tan Yang Thai is the 15th High Commissioner accredited to Sri Lanka.