Other Information Other Information




The Government of countries who are a party to the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations 1963 has a responsibility to inform the Government of other party countries of the arrest / detention of its citizen as soon as it made. However, this obligation is not always observed due to problems in communication, or there are cases where the arrested person does not want his/her Government to be informed.

In cases where the Embassy of Malaysia Belgrade is informed of the arrest / detention of a Malaysian citizen, the Embassy will convey the information to the family / next of kin.     

Among the information required for the report are as follows:


a)         Name of the person arrested/ detained.

b)         Passport and Identification Card number.

c)         Picture of the person

d)         Address / location of residence abroad

e)         Telephone number.

f)          Cause of arrest / detention

g)         Other information deemed relevant.


The Consular Division will seek assistance from the respective local police/ prison service to inquire about the case. The family will be informed of the result of the investigation, if any.


In cases where Malaysian citizens are arrested / detained abroad, the ability of the Embassy/Consulate General/High Commission to give assistance is limited. The law of the particular country where a Malaysian is arrested / detained is supreme and has to be obeyed and respected. International rules and customs dictate that consular assistance from a foreign mission cannot override the law and regulations of the particular country.


The Embassy of Malaysia will try to assist to the greatest extent possible Malaysian Citizen arrested / detained.  However, the form of assistance depends on what is allowed by the host country authorities. Bear in mind that sometimes the Embassy may have little or no power at all to help. Therefore, Malaysians intending to go abroad are advised to behave properly so as to avoid any problems with foreign local authorities.  


What we can do to assist Malaysian arrested / detained:


a)        Contact with arrested / detained person.

b)        Arrange for family / next of kin to be informed if you wish.

c)        Give you advice and guidance with the primary aim of helping you to help yourself.

d)        Provide a list of local doctors and lawyers.



What we cannot do:


a)      Give legal advice, intervene in court proceedings or provide funds to pay for your 

         legal costs of fines.

b)      Do something that is against the local law to help you.

c)      Become involved with the host government’s affairs to get you out of prison or

         obtain special treatment in prison.

d)      Bail or pay for fines.

e)      Become a bailsman, guarantor or sponsor.


Other than those listed above, the High Commission will not:


a)     Help you find a job overseas

b)     Arrange visas, work or residence permits for other countries, or help you              

        obtain them.

c)     Become involved with judicial affairs on your behalf in child custody cases
        in mixed marriages.

d)     Pay or guarantee payment of your hotel, medical or any other bills, including         

        the cost of returning lost luggage to Malaysia.

e)     Act as travel agent, bank or post office or store your luggage.

f)      Become involved in commercial disputes or take up complaints about local purchase, etc.

g)     Provide translation, interpreter, telephone or photocopy services.

h)     Investigate crimes in foreign countries.

i)      Get you better condition in hospital than a local national would receive.


If the family member requires legal advice or needs to visit the arrested / detained person, the application needs to be submitted to the Consular Division. All costs incurred will be borne by the family.


After completion of sentence (if found guilty), the person will be deported back toMalaysia. In some countries, cost of deportation will be borne by the country concerned while in other countries, the family needs to bear the cost.


If the cost of deportation has to be borne by the family, deposit the required amount to the Consular Division. An official receipt will be issued to the depositor.


The family member will be informed of the details of arrival.