States under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Malaysia, New York:
Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Wisconsin.
As in any other country, Malaysians are advise to be aware of the local security situation at the place that they are visiting or residing. As a general guideline, Malaysians are advise to:
- SECURE THEIR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS AT ALL TIMES
- AVOID VISITING UNSAFE AREAS
- AVOID BEING ENTANGLE IN DANGEROUS SITUATION
- AVOID KEEPING ITEMS BELONGING TO STRANGERS
- OBEY LOCAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE IN AN EMERGENCY SITUATION
i. What do I/Malaysian do in case of emergency when I am in New York or States under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Malaysia?
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Malaysia will respond to an emergency situation that has the potential to endanger the safety or lives of Malaysian citizen abroad i.e. natural disaster, civil unrest or war. In such case, the Consulate General of Malaysia in New York will assist you. Therefore, it is important that you register with the Consulate General of Malaysia, New York so that we are aware of your presence and whereabouts.
ii. What do I/Malaysian do when I am arrested in New York?
Please request the arresting authorities to inform the Consulate General of Malaysia, New York at the following:
CONSULATE GENERAL OF MALAYSIA, NEW YORK
313 East 43rd Street, 10017 New York NY
Telephone : + 1 212 490 2722 / 212 490 2723
Duty officer : + 1 917 319 0381 (Emergency only)
Fax : + 1 212 490 2049
Email : email@example.com
Office Hours : Monday - Friday: 9.00 am - 5.00 pm
Closed : Saturday & Sunday & Public Holidays
After being informed officially of the arrest of Malaysian citizens, Consulate General of Malaysia in New York will contact the arrested/detained person, arrange for family/next of kin to be informed if they so wish, give advice and guidance with the primary aim of helping them with regard to their welfare.
Assists in the transfer of necessary emergency funds from relatives and/or friends in Malaysia.
In the event of injury, arrest or detention, the Consulate General of Malaysia in New York will assists in notifying your next-of-kin accordingly.
iii. What happen in the case of death?
In the event of the death of a Malaysian citizen overseas, the Consulate General of Malaysia in New York is ready to assist Malaysians to repatriate the remains of their family member or relative that had died in New York or States under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Malaysia, back to Malaysia. However, any cost incurred has to be borne by the relative/next of kin.
iv. What kind of consular assistance does the Consulate General of Malaysia in New York provides?
The Consulate General of Malaysia in New York provides consular assistance such as:
- Issuance of visa
- Registration of Malaysians living in New York and States under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Malaysia.
- Issuance of Emergency Certificate (loss of travel document/passport)
- Registration of Marriage
- Registration of Birth
- Registration of Death
- Assistance to Malaysian Nationals arrested in New York and States under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Malaysia
- Issuance, renewal and extension of travel documents
- Issuance of Certificate of Good Conduct
- Issuance of Certificate of Waiver of two year home residence
- Attestation / Legalization of Malaysian and US documents.
v. What kind of assistance does the Consulate General of Malaysia in New York WILL NOT BE ABLE to provides:
- Help you find a job in the United States of America;
- Arrange visas, work or residence permits for other countries, or help you to obtain them;
- Become involved with judicial affairs on your behalf in child custody cases in mixed marriages;
- Pay or guarantee payment of your hotel, medical or any other bills, including the cost of returning lost luggage to Malaysia;
- Act as travel agent, bank or post office or store your luggage;
- Become involved in commercial disputes or take up complaints about local purchase, etc;
- Provide office, translation, interpreter and telephone or photocopy services;
- Investigate crimes in foreign countries;
- Provide accommodation at the Consulate General of Malaysia in New York or the homes of officers in New York.
- Act an agent or legal representative to check the assets of a deceased person in the United States.
- Act an agent or legal representative to collect / deliver personal documents.
In the event of the arrest/detention of Malaysian citizens, the Consulate General of Malaysia in New York will not give legal advice, intervene in court proceedings or provide funds to pay for your legal costs or fines; do something that is against the local law to help you; become involved with the host government’s affairs to get you out of prison or obtain special treatment in prison; bail or pay for fines; nor become a bailsman, guarantor or sponsor.