MS. NURUL SYAZA AZLISHA
PERMANENT MISSION OF MALAYSIA TO THE UNITED NATIONS
ON AGENDA ITEM 143: IMPROVING THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS
MAIN SESSION OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE OF
THE 75TH SESSION OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY
NEW YORK, 16 OCTOBER 2020
I join others in congratulating you on your election as Chair of the Committee as well as to the other members of the Bureau. My delegation takes this opportunity to express our appreciation to your predecessor and the previous bureau members for the job well done during the 74th Session of the General Assembly.
2. Malaysia aligns itself with the statements delivered by Guyana on behalf of the Group of 77 and China, and Singapore on behalf of the Association of the Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
3. Allow me to also thank Ms. Catherine Pollard, Under-Secretary-General for Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance of the United Nations for her presentation on 8 October 2020 on the financial situation of the United Nations.
4. A year has passed and yet the United Nations continues to face financial difficulties. In fact, the situation has remained almost the same for more than twenty years. The ongoing financial uncertainty has forced the UN to manage expenditures based on liquidity rather than programme delivery. As such, it has further undermined the delivery of mandated programmes in all the three pillars of the UN – namely peace and security, development, and human rights.
5. The COVID-19 pandemic has further impacted the ability and capacity of Member States and the Secretariat to find ways to improve the financial health of the organisation. As we celebrate the 75th anniversary of the organisation this year, we must find the will to put the UN on a stronger footing.
6. In this regard, Malaysia calls on Member States particularly those that have the capacity to do so to honour their financial commitments and pay their assessments, in full, on time and without conditions so as to avoid risk of disruptions in UN operations globally.
7. Malaysia would also like to reiterate the importance that the UN budget is utilized in the most efficient, effective, and accountable manner.
8. In closing, Malaysia looks forward to working closely with you and other delegations in an open, inclusive, and transparent manner.
Thank you, Mr. Chair.