Background of the Establishment of the Consulate General of Malaysia for Southern India in Chennai
The Consulate General of Malaysia for Southern India in Chennai was established in 1961. The establishment of the office in Chennai is considered amongst the first few Malaysian Diplomatic Missions established abroad following the Independence of Malaysia in 1957.
2. Since establishment, the office has carried the status of the Office of the Assistant High Commissioner for Malaysia in Chennai until October 2004. In order to cater to the Malaysian greater interests in Southern India, and to optimize the role and function of the Mission, the Government of Malaysia decided to upgrade the office to the status of Consulate General. Therefore, in November 2004, the Office of the Assistant High Commissioner for Malaysia in Chennai was re-designated as The Consulate General of Malaysia for Southern India in Chennai via the Ministry of External Affairs, India notification dated 8 November 2004.
3. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Wisma Putra, Malaysia has assigned 18 Diplomatic Officers to head the Mission and the Office of the Consulate General has been expanded to include various core areas and is assisted by various agencies under the umbrella of the Consulate General to carry out the specific duties. The agencies under the Consulate General Office are as follows:
1. Immigration and Consular Affairs
Department of Immigration, Malaysia
(Established in 1983)
2. Promoting Malaysia as a Tourist Destination
Tourism Malaysia under the Ministry of Tourism
(Established in 2001)
3. Promoting Bilateral Trade
Malaysian Trade and Development office (MATRADE)
(Established in 2004)
4. Education and Training
Counsellor of Education and Training Office,
Public Service Department
(Established in 2008)
5. Labour Relations
Ministry of Human Resource
(Established in 2009)
4. The Jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Malaysia in Chennai is mainly to focus on Malaysian interests in all areas in the Southern States of India, namely, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and the Union territory of Pondicherry (Puducherry).
5. The present Office is located at No. 7 (Old No. 3), Cenotaph Road, 1st Street, Teynampet, Chennai 600018. However, the MATRADE Office and Tourism Malaysia are operating from separate premises in Chennai.